Tuesday, February 25, 2014

faux suede scout tee


I bought this pink faux suede polyester fabric in Nippori fabric district in Tokyo when Carolyn and Cassie were spending time with me during their holiday in Japan in January. I thought that very simple blouses in such suede fabrics would be unusual, but at the same time they could be very pretty too. So I decided that one small piece of this pink fabric was my catch of the day. I remember I returned home with a big happy grin, knowing it would bring an experimental fun project.

Although I've made some bags with those faux suede fabrics before(1, 2, 3), this was the first time for me to make a garment with this specific material. I really wasn't sure if the result would be wearable, and it took awhile for me to be enough courageous about the blouse. But you know, you will see how things turn out only after trying them actually for yourself. After all, sewing this blouse was easy-peasy and the result looks not bad at all, to my eyes. I washed the fabric before and also after sewing, and found that there was no problem or shape-changing with soaking the fabric in the water. Now you can agree with me in the safe side that this is a wearable garment, can't you.


I used Grainline Studio's Scout Woven Tee pattern for this blouse. I chose one larger size for my measurement except shoulders that were in my usual size. As the fabric had little flexibility, I think I did very right about the size. An elastic band was inserted the inside of the bottom hem with zig-zag stitches to get a slight blousing effect, and it makes the wearer looking wearing something soft and balloon-ish and I think it is kinda cute. I altered the neckline to a boat neck and added an invisible zipper in the back center from the top to the halfway down, too. I can put it on and off without the zipper operation, if I tell you the truth, but you really don't have to point it out loud as only garments that have harmless imperfections can be interesting in the squirrelly world, for sure.

I hope you're having a good week!!


Much love,
yoshimi


=====
spring scout tee in pink faux suede
pattern: Scout Woven Tee from Grainline Studio
intentional choice of one larger size (except around shoulders), boat neck, neckline facing, back zipper, elastic band at hem
fabric: Polyester faux suede (aka ultrasuede) in light salmon pink
=====

17 comments:

  1. Die Bluse sieht fantastisch aus. Super schön.
    LG Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Scout Tee hack! You have elevated it to a new level of style. I tried to use a similar polyester suede fabric for a gunmetal dress I was sewing, but it would NOT sew up. But, it was a knit, so I think that is why, something about the knit combined with the poly suede just made it impossible to go through either the machine or the overlocker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the gunmetal dress from Lolita patterns? It sounds a bit difficult as you say, but I wish the best luck with your project!

      Delete
  3. LOVE this top! It's simple and stylish and pastel! I would wear something like this everyday if I had it :) And I LOVE your hair too. Wish mine would behave :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty top and you have matched the fabric and pattern perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Yoshimi! The added elastic at the waistband is a nice touch & i just love the colour! That skirt is gorgeous, did you make it too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn! The skirt is actually a dress which I found at Theory outlet shop some time ago. I bought it with a plan of refashioning. I'm going to chop it in half and make a skirt out of it!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely darling! And your shirt and outfit are adorable, too!
    Regards-Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out really lovely! and of course, yes; very wearable ;) This is a beautiful colour on you.
    I should make up my ultra-suede now too...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to seeing your make! :)

      Delete
  8. It's lovely and fits right in with your style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A simple top in a pretty colour - what more can I say. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm noticing a lot of pink round at the moment, so appealing. I have made a couple of Scout tees and I think putting elastic in the bottom is inspired. I was wondering how you finished the neck with the ruffle and realise that it's actually part of the dress/skirt. It makes it really interesting. Gorgeous top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yoshimi, you don't want to cut the dress. It makes a really fun underdress! Regards-Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is very cute, Yoshimi. You really rock the palette of gentle colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!!