Monday, February 21, 2011

Spring coat(s)

It's getting warmer and warmer day by day, but spring seems staying far away from us. I wanted a new spring coat to cheer me up, and sewed two copies in a row. I mean, I sewed two coats from one pattern, and the first one turned out to be a failure and second one successfully became my spring coat.


The first
I sensed that it was going to be very unsuccessful from the beginning. It sounds very silly, but it is true. Though this mint green fabric had a right thickness for spring coat, I knew it was apparently springy (well...I'm not joking or rhyming). I just loved this color too much! What I did was wishing it OK, instead of being clever. I sewed it into a boxy coat, and the result was a disaster. It didn't seem that disastrous on a hanger, but it started barking its true meaning on human. It was like a shape-memorized very boxy container for human torso. I also thought I looked like a mint-green tin robot. (My daughter said that I looked like an astronaut in it, but I suspect she wanted to mention space suits.) I'm laughing at myself seeing that I just couldn't avoid the whole process to make sure of the consequences.

I assume that it is good to share my failure that had caused by a bad choice of fabric. You have to see it to minimize your possibility to look like this, don't you? My suggestion is that if you doubt whether your fabric for coat is soft enough, you'd definitely better stop.


The second
So I came to my stash again, and after a long thought, I picked up this linen for the second attempt. It was a very heavy linen canvas, with generously flowing texture. By then, I became to hate all springy things in my stash, and naturally felt like choosing the softest fabric among all my coat-weight fabrics. It was a small piece of linen with a big pattern, which was a present from my friend Kapo, who is always bringing me one new fabric after her holiday. She is so nice. She is super nice. I can bore you by telling this thousands of times. Maybe now I have to have my own holiday to get her something nice.

Thanks to its softness, this time it made the coat very wearable. It slightly but naturally follows the shape of body and looks more decent as a garment, in my opinion. I couldn't care about the layout of print pattern, because of the size of fabric, but I am quite happy with the result in the end. I also chose a set of pink delicate shell buttons for it from my drawer. They were a part of swapping gifts from Mimosa some years ago. Thanks Mimosa, now they are on my brand-new coat!


=====
spring coat(s)
pattern: 3023(boxy half coat: discontinued) from anneecotton* size 40(down graded to 38)
pockets: modified (narrow double piping pockets to wide single piping pockets)
mint green coat
cotton/polyester blend, light weight, chambray twill, soft but very springy. 2.2cm buttons.
salmon pink organic pattern coat
linen, heavy plain rough canvas, soft, wobbly and flowing texture. 2.5cm buttons.

Both are fully lined. Mint green one has a closed lining.
Lining of linen one hasn't been closed at hem.
Linen coat has a narrower overlapping at front center (by 3cm).

=====


notes
*Always choose softer fabric than what she'd think appropriate.
*Never listen to yoshimi for her favorite.

Have a lovely week!

Much love,
yoshimi

31 comments:

  1. Well.......I think they are both beautiful and the mint coat is divine. BUT we are our own worst critics, so I understand how you feel.
    Lovely coats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both really nice, but the salmon one is my favorite too. Perhaps if you put the mint one away for awhile when you get it back out it won't seem so disagreeable to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought the green one was your favorite before i read on! i really do love them both. i think the green one just has a totally different feel than what you were expecting. maybe it's one of those garments you should hide in the back of the closet and look at in a month, you'll probably see it differently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great in the photos---the green one does look crisp and boxy, but not in a bad way. I LOVE the fabric of the second coat, however---to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both, but I do agree that the linen one seems to fit nicer. I recently made a poor fabric choice as well, so I can sympathize with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with everyone, I like the green coat, too! :) Both coats are very pretty and those buttons are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chiming in to say that I like the green coat, too! I think it looks just fine. It's boxy, but it looks more like a swing coat than an astronaut suit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them both as well, but I agree that the print one is the cutest! You absolutely cracked me up with "It didn't seem that disastrous on a hanger, but it started barking its true meaning on human." LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them both, the green coat is really "mod-ish" in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your second coat! Beautiful - To be honest, I do like your green coat, but I've noticed on the internet - it's hard to figure out what the drape is, etc. . . I've posted several projects on the internet that I did not like in person - but they looked great in the pictures, that's probably what is going on with the mint coat!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the coats! I like them both, but I do prefer the print. The buttons are to die for, they look great! Any chance we can get a picture of the lining on the coats? Just a thought. Thanks for sharing and continuing to inspire us. Rosalia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the mint coat. But I understand you when saying that you like some fabric and then you don't like so much the end product. I had the same problem before. Congratulations for the good work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly, I LOVE the green one. I think it looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, even your failures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they are both beautiful, but my favorite is the green! I love the color and how much body it has. Maybe it needs the "closet cure"...hang it in the closet for a few weeks and then look at it. It may be cured!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like them both. They are very different, and it's hard to believe it's the same pattern. A good lesson in fabric selection. I think the green one looks fine and you should get a robot scarf to wear with it. Then take your daughter to school in it one morning...(heee)

    ReplyDelete
  17. They both look great, but I know how sometimes in person, they don't look as good. Critical daughter comments don't help, either. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like them both. I think the green one looks lovely. Maybe you can give it another try in a week or so. Those buttons are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. www.mycafecouture.comFebruary 22, 2011 at 6:04 AM

    Oh, I prefer the mint one, it's a shame it's not wearable, the linen one is beautiful also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I think both coats are marvelous! The fabric and buttons on the second are so unique and beautiful. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like both coats. You can give the mint coat to me if you don't want it :D but the pink coat is lovely plus your choices of buttons make it more beautiful :) I love your coats and everything you make, it is just like store-bought garment.
    Yoshimi, why not make a tutorial or more on some steps in clothes making such as how to install the zipper, or maybe how to make the pocket...or probably since I'm also using Japanese book patterns, there are some steps that I do not understand by looking at the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny, I like the green coat better than your favourite. It is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A robot scarf. Definitely need to get it. (It will make MY day!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The green color is lovely and so perfect for spring... is it possible to add some darts to add shape? Your other one is just lovely and also perfect for spring! The buttons are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Liza, thank you for your lovely comment on the coats! You are so sweet! Thanks for your suggestion about making tutorials too, but I have to say that I'm not gonna do it in this blog. There are two reasons... One is that I simply have no time to do. I am already spending a very long time in front of my Mac for, let me say, relating to our sewing community, and this is the maximum frame of time that I deserve in my inefficient life. I'm a slow writer, and a slow reader as well. The other is that I'm more interested in what to sew than how to sew. I can find so many geniuses for tutorials and lovely people who are super good at organizing sew-alongs, and I will continue to admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yoshimi, you are so funny! I think both of your coats are beautiful, in different ways. The pink one is divine, as you rightly pointed out. It is just stunning in every way!
    But I like the mint green one too. I think you will come to appreciate its boxiness over time! I think it will be good for wearing over thick jumpers, or on colder days when you need to layer more things underneath?
    Don't be too hard on yourself, we are our own worse critics!

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful work!! :)
    Your clothes are just lovely, you really have such skill.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They both look great from here ;) Perhaps a scarf with the green one will make it a little less space suit like.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your coats are beautiful! This is very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you very much for posting your "disaster". It is very educational to be able to see the 2 coats together to understand what you said about being boxy. Wow what a difference a choice in fabric makes.

    But I have to point out that some ladies like the boxy looking version. I am with you, I am too petite to pull that look off without feeling like I look very strange.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!!